Illinois Governor JB Pritzker delivered his annual Budget Address to a joint session of the General Assembly yesterday afternoon. Protect Our Care Illinois was pleased to hear the governor’s continued dedication to building a health care system that is equitable, accessible, and affordable for all Illinoisans.
We commend Governor Pritzker on:
- His commitment to ensuring quality health care will be accessible to all Illinoisans via the revival of the Navigator program;
- Adding 100 new employees to the Department of Human Services to reduce the Medicaid redetermination backlog;
- Increasing the state budget for mental health and addiction treatment services by $40 million;
- His leadership to protect hardworking families across the state via the Fair Tax amendment; and
- Maintaining family planning funding.
What was left out of the budget, however, shows that our state still has significant work ahead in order to achieve a truly equitable health care system for all people in Illinois. Specifically, people who are ineligible for healthcare coverage due to immigration status must be provided affordable, quality options for healthcare coverage in order to continue to move towards a more equitable healthcare system in IL for all people. In addition, by expanding Medicaid coverage to 12-months postpartum for all women, Illinois can make significant progress toward reducing maternal mortality and morbidity.
We look forward to working with the Pritzker Administration and partners in the General Assembly to enact these budgetary priorities and continue to bring to life the vision of true health equity in Illinois.