With the absence of Sen. John McCain, a key Republican, from the Senate this week due to an unscheduled surgery, the Senate is delaying its expected vote on the “Better Care (if you’re Healthy) Reconciliation Act” this week. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) score of the bill has also been delayed.
We need to take advantage of this time join with advocates from across the country to continue to show the public and elected officials that TrumpCare is unacceptable!
Our message to the Illinois GOP Congressional Delegation is loud and clear:
- Reject this bill and pursue a bipartisan approach that leaves Medicaid alone and addresses our real needs: stabilizing the marketplace and improving affordability.
- Reject any bill that causes large coverage losses, ends Medicaid expansion, caps and cuts the Medicaid program, or guts critical protections for people with health conditions.
Anything less would be breaking their promises to the people of Illinois.
What can you do?
Call the Protect Our Care Illinois hotline to be connected to your member of Congress: 1 866-877-3303 and use these talking points. The phone lines of our GOP House members who voted for the bill should be lighting up.
Join us in several events across the state this week and next:
- July 18, 12 p.m. – Chicago – Healthcare Covenant at Chicago Temple
- July 18, 5:30 p.m. – Springfield – Emergency Die-In: Stop TrumpCare
- July 18, 6 p.m. – Wheaton – Kill the Bill Die-In
- July 18, All day – Indivisible Day of Action: Find an event near you
- July 17-18 – Indivisible Chicago: Phone banks to save the ACA
- July 19, 7 p.m. – Healthy Illinois Candidate’s Forum